“Do you have any questions?”
This comes up in every interview and is your chance to leave a lasting impression.
Apart from the generic “what’s a typical day?” or “When will I hear back?”, ask questions that will make you stand out.
Let the hiring manager know you’re interested…
1. What can you tell me about plans for growth expansion
This lets the interviewer know you have long-term ambitions and will let you evaluate these, against the company’s goals
2. What have you enjoyed most about working here?
This allows you to get a great inside view. It also helps build a personal connection with the interviewer, as they share their own thoughts.
3. Can you tell me about the team I will be working with and can I meet some of them?
Having this opportunity is essential and lets you know the company places value on cultural fit and strong team dynamics.
[Top Tip] This question is phrased assuming you will get the job. Asking questions like this, will help the interviewer visualise you in the position
4. What challenges will I face in this position?
Asking this shows you are thinking ahead. If the interviewer says there aren’t any, is this a position for you?
5. Do you offer any continued training?
Similar to above, this demonstrates your interest in developing skills and growing with the company long-term
6. What can I do to impress in the first 6 months?
This question helps you know what to focus on if you do secure the job. It’s a great opening question.
7. How do you measure success?
Knowing how you will be evaluated is important and will give you an insight into what it’ll take to be successful.
8. Do you have any reservations, that would stop me progressing at this stage?
This allows you to directly address any concerns the interviewer may have. It’s a great way to finish the interview and will demonstrate your confidence to discuss your strengths and weaknesses.
[Top Tip] Hiring managers want to be asked good questions. It will create a more conversational interview and make you stand out.
By Adam Moore
About Adam Moore: Senior Consultant Adam works exclusively within Natural Resources and Infrastructure.