January, notorious for New Years’ weight loss resolutions, dry Januarys and when roughly 12% of all yearly gym memberships are made.
We’re constantly warned about the effect of an unhealthy diet on our bodies, but how does a healthy lifestyle correlate with workplace performance?
At Concilium Search we have always been conscious of encouraging staff to lead a healthy lifestyle, starting with a healthy, balanced diet. This led us to consider which foods aid a productive working environment and help our consultants perform at their best.
Our research showed us that an unhealthy diet reduces your capability to think clearly and work creatively. In particular, foods which are rich in carbohydrates cause the body to produce high levels of insulin, which, in turn, flood the brain with sleep hormones, reducing one’s ability to concentrate. Ironically, research has also shown that those with poor nutrition are more likely to experience insomnia and sleep apnoea. Both conditions can cause daytime fatigue, draining energy and productivity levels.
Not only does a poor diet affect restful sleep, but unhealthy foods provoke irritability, which will inevitably impact your relationships with colleagues. In fact, over time poor nutrition can also increase the risk of conditions such as anxiety and depression, something which we at Concilium take very seriously.
Given that poor nutrition impacts on mood, energy, sleep and mental well-being, its important to know which foods provide us with the right nutrients to stay healthy and happy in the workplace.
Chicken and Fish
Good sources of protein, containing amino acids, which make up the chemicals your brain needs to regulate thoughts and feelings. It also helps keep you feeling fuller for longer.
Another good source of protein, help you maintain more stable blood-glucose levels. The high-quality protein in eggs also form a necessary component of important neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and norepinephrine – chemicals that brain cells use to communicate among themselves. The net effect of these processes on the brain is an enhanced feeling of energy and alertness.
Fruit and Vegetables
Contain a lot of the minerals, vitamins and fibre we need to keep us physically and mentally healthy.
- Avocados: containing both vitamin K and folate, avocados help prevent blood clots in the brain (protecting against stroke), as well as helping to improve cognitive function – especially memory and concentration.
- Blueberries: boost concentration and memory, for up to five hours because the antioxidants in blueberries stimulate the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain –keeping your mind fresh.
- Bananas: eating two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch and sustain your blood sugar. Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and night time leg cramps by eating a banana.
- Red & orange fruit and veg: packed full of vitamin C (an antioxidant which boosts the immune system) and potassium (key for balanced blood pressure and hydration).
In small doses, can help you focus for a number of reasons.
- Dark chocolate contains a small amount of caffeine, which has been proven to heighten mental alertness, thus boosting your focus.
- Dark chocolate contains magnesium, which has a calming effect on the nervous system, helping you to sleep restfully and de-stress.
How we stay healthy at Concilium
We understand how difficult it can be to remain healthy during a busy working week. Long working hours and tiring days can leave little time or motivation for healthy meal prep. But, we believe, it’s the little things in the workplace that can make all the difference to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Rather than your traditional office biscuit box, Concilium Search provides its staff with a number of items to help staff stay healthy and happy!
- Regular protein deliveries of Huel and Whey Protein – high in fibre and vitamins & minerals, contributing to the growth and maintenance of muscle mass.
- Pre-work out and growth & full body recovery supplements, excellent for helping employees when striving to achieve a new strength goal, boosting exercise intensity, or taking their fitness endurance to the next level.
- Powdered supergreens – consuming greens supplements can be a convenient and reliable way to help you get your necessary daily intake of green vegetables. Perfect for a busy Consultant!
- Vitamin C delivery – excellent for the growth, development and repair of all body tissues. As well as, helping the immune system, absorption of iron and wound healing.
- Multivitamins, which are shown to increase energy, improve mood and significantly reduce levels of stress and anxiety – essential for workplace wellbeing.
- Fruit deliveries. Fruit bowls are topped up daily around the office – they make for perfect mid-morning/afternoon snacks.
We don’t believe in vending machines or biscuit boxes, but we do believe in treating ourselves on the special occasion of birthdays with office Krispy Kremes – everything in moderation!
According to Perspectives in Public Health, workplace nutrition initiatives are estimated to increase productivity by at least 2 percent.
- From our experience we know this to be true and will continue to provide our staff with healthy supplements and snacks and encouraging everyone to maintain a healthy and balanced diet!
Keep following our blog in the forthcoming weeks as we continue to explore the importance of a healthy lifestyle and how to maintain health and well-being in the workplace…